Link directly to emails from Emacs Orgmode using Thunderbird and Thunderlink

On macOS, links of the form message://message-id are by default supported by the system. Using a tool such as org-mac-link, it is straight-forward to link directly to relevant emails from Orgmode tasks and notes. It does not matter if you have moved the mail around. When you open the link from Orgmode, the relevant email is instantly shown in Mac mail. Fortunately, similar functionality can be configured on Windows and Linux using the Thunderbird mail client, an add-on called ThunderLink, and a touch of Emacs Lisp.

PyCharm and Docker Compose for Django and TypeScript development on Windows 10

A few days ago I switched my main development machine from a 2017 15” MacBook Pro with a 4-core 2.9GHz 7820HQ i7, 16GB of RAM and 512GB of SSD to a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme with a 6-core 8750H i7, 32GB of RAM and 1.5TB of Really Fast SSD. My reasons for the switch were: The fact that my upgrade path with the MacBook would have been much more expensive.

Using the new dotnet fsi from .NET Core 3 Preview 3 in Visual Studio Code

One of the great new F# tools in .NET Core 3 Preview 3 is F# interactive as pure .NET Core application. To use dotnet fsi in your Visual Studio Code with the Ionide F# IDE plugin instead of the fsharpi binary, add the following to your user settings.json: 1 2 3 "FSharp.fsacRuntime": "netcore", "FSharp.fsiFilePath": "/usr/local/share/dotnet/dotnet", "FSharp.fsiExtraParameters": ["fsi"] Remember to replace fsiFilePath with wherever your .NET Core 3 dotnet binary is installed.

Installing Isso comments in Hugo on WebFaction

On Wednesday April 3, 2019, I finished migrating this site from Wordpress to Hugo. An important part of this project was finding a new system for handling blog post comments. On my personal blog, I am able to use the free and ad-free tier of Disqus, but because is strictly-speaking a company site (even although 100% of the posts are non-commercial), that won’t work here. Furthermore, the $9 / month price tag of the lowest Disqus tier is not really justifiable with the relatively small number of comments being handled.

Improving fastai's mixed precision support with NVIDIA's Automatic Mixed Precision.

TL;DR: For best results with mixed precision training, use NVIDIA’s Automatic Mixed Precision together with fastai, and remember to set any epsilons, for example in the optimizer, correctly. Background Newer NVIDIA GPUs such as the consumer RTX range, the Tesla V100 and others have hardware support for half-precision / fp16 tensors. This is interesting, because many deep neural networks still function perfectly if you store most of their parameters using the far more compact 16-bit floating point precision.

A Simple Ansible script to convert a clean Ubuntu 18.04 to a CUDA 10, PyTorch 1.0 preview, fastai, miniconda3 deep learning machine.

I have prepared a simple Ansible script which will enable you to convert a clean Ubuntu 18.04 image (as supplied by Google Compute Engine or PaperSpace) into a CUDA 10, PyTorch 1.0 preview, fastai 1.0.x, miniconda3 powerhouse, ready to live the (mixed-precision!) deep learning dream. I built this script specifically in order to be able to do mixed-precision neural network training on NVIDIA’s TensorCores. It currently makes use of the vxlabs.

Configuring Emacs, lsp-mode and Microsoft's Visual Studio Code Python language server.

In a previous post I showed how to get Palantir’s Python Language Server working together with Emacs and lsp-mode. In this post, we look at the brand new elephant in the room, Microsoft’s arguably far more powerful own Python Language Server, and how to integrate it with Emacs. Motivation Since that previous post on Palantir’s language server, I’ve been using Emacs far more intensively for Python coding in tmux on remote machines with GPUs for deep learning.